Saturday, May 2, 2009

Ruthie Recognizes Her First Word

Besides her own name, that is. She's responded to that for a while. But now she recognizes the word Dada! If you ask her "Where's Dada?" she'll turn and look at Mitch with a big grin on her face and an expectant look in her eyes. What an amazing, miraculous step for someone so tiny! We take verbal communication so much for granted, but she's connecting the dots between what she hears and the world around her for the first time. I feel privileged to watch.
It feels like she's been learning a lot lately. You can see it in her eyes as she watches my mouth make certain sounds and then sometimes tries to mimic them, at least the shape of them. One of my favorites right now is when Mitch waves goodbye to her when he's leaving and she looks at his hand, studying it, pondering the motion of what he is doing, and then slowly extends her own hand and looks at it. I wouldn't say she's really waving yet, but she's thinking about it!

2 comments:

akamilby said...

Thanks for posting Kates! We've been missing you since Wednesday, but praying for you a lot. I'm glad the last week of classes is over, and we'll be praying you guys through finals week. I hope you had a good Sabbath today, and that you had a little family time too. We miss you guys!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for so thoughtfully capturing where Ruthie is. I remember that and you told it so clearly that I can just picture it. So fun to just watch them grow and learn. She takes it all in.
love you,
Mom