Friday, June 18, 2010

Bunk Beds!

It was about time. These girls were desiring a space of their own in our home. And mom and dad were desiring a bedroom of their own:) Until now we've had a twin bed in their room with a crib size mattress pushed underneath it during the day as our 'trundle bed'. Anna and Josie traded each week, or more often, who slept where. Now the trundle bed belongs to Ruthie and both the older girls have a bed of their very own. Anna, especially, has been wanting a place of her own, out of reach of her youngest sister, where she can do her 'setups' and not have them disturbed. Hopefully this will give her that space. The only problem is that the ladders are permanently attached. We'll have to work on that one with Ruthie.

Last night, before going to sleep, Anna kept telling us "tomorrow morning, first thing, I'm going to wake up and look out the windows! That's what I'm going to do!" And Josie would say in reply: "Tomorrow morning, when I wake up, the first thing I'm going to do is swing on my monkey bars!" (The mattresses are sitting on metal slats- her monkey bars.)
Thank you, Michelle, for loaning me a spacious vehicle, and Ruth, for watching the girls, so I could go pick up these bunk beds. I wish you all could have seen the energy in this house when I walked in the door bringing the bunk beds home. All the girls literally started bouncing off the walls, laughing and screaming in excitement. Quite a fun site! You can't tell it by the look on Josie's face in this picture (she's making a silly face for the camera) but she was just as excited as Anna was. When the camera wasn't pointed at her she had a grin on her face just as big as Anna's.

5 comments:

Chad Clement said...

WOW! I can see some pretty cool blanket forts getting built in that bedroom. What a great treat for the girls.....and for you and Mitch. No jumping off the top, Anna, until you are 10.

akamilby said...

Yeah! We like your bunk beds! We have bunk beds too, but they're not bunked. We like your blankets.
--Jack and Caroline

Emily (Laundry and Lullabies) said...

Bunk beds are wonderful things. Our boys have a triple bunk (the bottom is a trundle that Josiah will soon be moving into). Jonathan is on the top for the same reason as Anna - space away from the youngest! We simply declared his bed "his space" and no one is allowed to climb up unless invited. We also hung handmade curtains from the ceiling so that J could have some privacy. He sometimes needs that extra space to simmer down or get away from the chaos of life, and curtains did the trick!

April said...

Adorable! They will have such fond memories about the bunk bed I'm sure. Those quilts are stunning!! I made my kids toddler size quilts and now they have out grown them. Good thinking ahead on those!

By the way, thanks for the sweet comments on my blog! I have to admit I do quite a lot of cleaning and de-cluttering before taking my pics of the house. Believe me, we have clutter here. I generally shove it in drawers and deal with it when I have time. Ron and Sarah tend to be savers, so I am always "helping" them with their collections! :)

April said...

Forgot to say now I'm inspired to make the kids each a larger quilt! I want to make one for our bed as well...this could take some time!